Life lately has been wonderful, stressful, and utterly exhausting.
1. My birthday was spent in the theater, rehearsing my student's Summer Performance. It actually was a fun way to spend a birthday because they really are great kids. But I was sick and taught more classes that night and I basically came home and slept.
2. The next night, Mr. Branflake and I went to dinner with our friends, Abbey and Joseph, to celebrate my birthday and they surprised me with the most amazing birthday gift ever: two pounds of chips and two quarts of salsa from my favorite Mexican restaurant and a tortilla warmer because we once made them homemade tortillas. It was so darn thoughtful I almost cried. (They also bought me a s'mores Blizzard so we all know they're BFFs for life.)
3. Classes are over until August, so I'm basically going to spend the rest of the Summer reading, writing, and eating.
4. I bought a flight to California! I'll be there for ten days to see friends and my mama. I've been missing California pretty bad and I can't wait to see my peeps and the ocean.
5. Last night Mr. Branflake and I stumbled upon a new forest where we saw a total of eleven (eleven!) deer. I managed to get some photos and I can't wait to share them with you. There were even baby dear and I might have chased one.
6. One of my students got me sunflowers (it was the sweetest thing ever, really) and I swear these beauties are the biggest sunflowers I've ever seen. So beautiful and perfect for Summer.
7. Mr. Branflake and I have been taking more walks to explore our new neighborhood and I love all the streams and forests we find.
8. That lemon cream pie above was so delicious. Just whip one cup of whipping cream, add a cup of sour cream, one box of instant lemon pudding, and put in a pie dish. It's light and summery and delicious.
9. We found a pho place. This is the best news.
10. Thank you for the birthday wishes. Birthdays are so tough for me (hello insecurities) but hearing all your messages and comments made it so much more fun. Thank you.